Air pollution is one of the biggest cause of health problems in India. In many large Indian cities, such as Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Kolkata, Chennai etc., this problem is especially severe. Many Air purifier brands have come up to tackle this issue in recent years.
We have reviewed some of the top air purifiers in India here so that you can get make an informed buying decision. Also, do not forget to read our buyers’ guide for air purifiers at the end of reviews. It will surely help you understand in finding best one for your home.
Best Air Purifiers 2021
Philips is one of the best and most popular brands in air purifier market. Its products are known for efficiency and durability. It’s no wonder Philips AC2887 is first in our list
This product is a pedestal air purifier with high CADR (speed of purification) and has been tested to remove H1N1 virus and can remove very small particulate matter as well
- CADR of the product is 333 m3/hour
- Coverage Area of this purifier is between 270 and 410 sq feet
- It comes with 2 years of warranty
- Weight of the product is 7.7 kg
- It comes with 3 pre-settings: General mode for general purpose, Allergen mode when pollution levels are higher and Bacteria and Viruses mode. You can choose any one of the modes yourself. However it also has a AeraSense technology for that continuously monitors particulate matter in the air that auto regulates purification speed
- It can remove particles as small as 20 nm which is very efficient. This level of efficiency helps in removal of harmful gases such as formaldehyde and TVOC
- It has unique design to help in efficient air flow
- It is tested to remove H1N1 viruses
- It has a sleep more that produces noise at 20dB which is quite good
#2 Coway Professional Air-Purifier, Special Green Anti-Virus True HEPA Filter (AirMega 150 (\AP-1019C))
Coway is a Korean air purifier brand. Coway professional is very popular air purifier from this manufacturer. Even though the design of the product is little different from other air purifiers, it is known for high user satisfaction for its powerful operations
- CADR of the product is 303 m3/hour
- Coverage Area of this purifier is 355 sq feet
- It comes with 2 years of warranty
- Weight of the product is 7.1 kg
- It comes with special 25 mm ‘super thick’ HEPA filters to trap allergens, bacteria and viruses. Its filters have a life of 8500 hours
- It has special carbon filter to remove smells of gases such as formaldehyde and smoke such as cigarette smoke
- It comes with air quality indicator that detects air quality constantly and based on this information, it automatically adjusts speed of purification.
- It also has a night mode. This switches the display lights off for comfortable sleep in the night.
- It has a unique design for better air flow and it comes with a turbo mode for very fast purification
Philips is top-most brand in air purifiers. Therefore it’s no wonder we bring another Philips air purifier. Philips 200 AC 2958 air filter is modern in design and comes with WiFi connectivity for ease of use.
- CADR of the product is 39 m2/hour (not available in m3/hour)
- This purifier is ideal for living room
- It comes with 1 years of warranty
- Weight of the product is 10.2 kg
- It comes in 4 modes: Auto mode for
- It has 3 layer filtration process. HEPA filters can remove particles upto 3 nanometers
- I comes with a smart filter status indicator that alerts you when life of filter nears it end and you can also get a real-time view on how much particulate matter is being filtered
- Its air quality sensors detect level of pollutants in the air and you can view them on display screen
- This comes with an app and you can use the app to schedule timer etc.
- Depending on usage you will have to change filters every 6 to 12 months.
#4 TruSens Z-2000 Air Purifier | Remote SensorPod | 360 HEPA Filtration with Dupont Filter | UV Light Sterilization Kills Bacteria Germs Odor Allergens in Home | Dual Airflow
TruSens is an American brand and is reputed for producing quality air purifiers. TruSens Zee 200 Air Purifier has innovative design and comes with a nice display that constantly monitors air pollution levels
- Coverage Area of this purifier is 375 sq feet
- It comes with 2 year of warranty
- Weight of the product is 4.1 kg
- It has 360 degree filtration tech for efficient filtration
- It comes with washable re-filter and carbon filter that removes smoke and any foul smell
- It has UV sterilisation technology that removes microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses
- It comes with stylish LED display that shows current air quality of the room
- It comes with filter change indicator that will alert you when life of filter ends
Mi is a Chinese brand popular for producing electronic goods. It has also ventured into air purification business with decent success. Mi Air purifier 3 is popular True HEPA filter which has good purification coverage area along with decent CADR. This is a value for money product.
- CADR of the product is 380 m3/hour
- Coverage Area of this purifier is 484 sq feet
- It comes with 1 year of warranty
- Weight of the product is 4.8 kg
- This purifier works with Google Assistant and Alexa. Therefore if you are looking for a truly connected air purifier, you can consider this product.
- It has 3 layer filtration containing true HEPA filter to remove particulate matter of size upto .3 micron
- CADR of 380 and coverage are of 480+ square feet is very good
- It purifies air at a rate of more than 6000 L per hour
Philips AC1215 is another popular air purifier. It has almost all the useful features necessary for a decent air purifier. It also comes with child lock feature which prevents any inadvertent changes in its setting.
- CADR of the product is 270 m3/hour
- Coverage Area of this purifier is between 226 and 333 sq feet
- It comes with 2 years of warranty
- Weight of the product is 5.2 kg
- It can purify a standard room in as low as 12 minutes
- This product is idea for bedroom because it automatically detects pollutant level and regulated the speed based in that. Plus is has night mode available, which is automatic.
- It has double-layered true HEPA. It’s 4 layered filtration eliminates particulate matter of size of .003 microns. This is very high level of filtration.
- This purifier has been tested to remove H1N1 viruses
- It has noise level of 33 dB, which is decent enough. 20 dB is similar to ruffling of leaves.
- It consumes low energy of 50 Watt
- It comes with turbo speed feature for fast purification for time when you need higher purification in less time.
- It has child lock feature
Blue Star produces all types of air purifiers and is a popular choice among Indian customers looking for value for money. Bluestar BS AP490LAN is a powerful purifier. Along with high coverage area and high CADR, it is equipped with auto regulation technology that regulates the air automatically
- CADR of the product is 915 m3/hour
- Coverage Area of this purifier is between 800 sq feet
- Weight of the product is 8 kg
- It has 7 stage filtration process that gives maximum efficiency along with true HEPA filters
- It is equipped with powerful SensAir technology. This will detect pollutant level in the air and automatically regulate speed of purification based on pollution level.
- It also has an odour sensor that detects bad odour and removes it regularly
- It comes with special microbe sterilise technology that kills micro-organisms such as moulds, dust mites, bacteria etc.
- It also comes with child-lock feature
Buying Guide- Best Air Purifiers
Want to buy air purifier for your home but not able to decide how to buy Air purifier? You should go through our air purifier buying guide to understand different types of purifiers and things to keep in mind before buying an air purifier.
Air purifiers can be classified either based on purifying technology they are using or based on portability.
Types of Air Purifiers – As per Technology
There are essentially five types of purifying technologies. Please keep in mind that air purifiers will often employ more than one purifying technology because no technology is complete in itself.
|Air Purifying Technology||Target Pollutant||Method of Working|
|HEPA Filter||Particles||Capture pollutants of almost all sizes|
|Ionizer||Particulate||Attract particles by charging the particles and then attracting them with opposite charge|
|Ozone generator||Gases||Oxidize gases in the air|
|Plasma wave generator||Gases||Neutralize gases by breaking chemical bonds between them|
|UV lamps||Microbes||UV light neutralizes airborne germs by denaturing their DNA|
|Activated carbon( & other absorbents like activated alumina)||Gases and Odors||Absorb gas and organic pollutants|
1. Basic and HEPA filters:
These are most common filters available in India today. HEPA air purifier remove cancer causing particles such as dust mites, pollens, cigarette smoke, animal skin etc. IT can remove particles of size of as small as 0.3 microns.
This works with help of filters. Therefore you will have to replace the filters every few months depending on your usage.
2. Ozone Generators:
Ozone air purifiers work by producing actual Ozone air by charging the oxygen in the air and charging it and converting it into Ozone. Exposure of Ozone can be harmful for asthama patients since Ozone is not good for health.
3. Activate Carbon Technology:
This filter works on principle that porous activated carbon with very high surface area can be used to remove particulate matter. The pores trap different types of compounds. It is usually used in addition to existing purifying technology. Also, it is very useful in case your existing purifier is not able to remove the smell in the air. Even these filters have a life span and have to replaced when its life ends.
4. UV technology:
It is a powerful way to destroy microorganisms. This technology is also used in water purifiers for the same purpose. Since it is helpful in removing microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses, it used in addition to existing filter technology to combat particulate matter int e air.
Also, this technology works by producing Ozone and destroying germs, purifier should be able to absorb / handle the produced Ozone because Ozone gas itself can be harmful of not regulated.
Therefore it is recommended to change Ozone lamp as per manufacturer’s recommended time frame. Typically, after a air is filtered by HEPA and other technologies like activated carbon, UV is applied in final stages of filtration.
Ionizers produce charged particles or ions. The ions charge particulate matter and trap them. They are particularly effective in removing very small particles that HEPA or other filters are not able to filter. Therefore they are used in conjunction to filter technology
Types of Air Purifiers – As per Portability
1. Pedestal air purifiers:
These air purifier can be placed on floor surface and are heavier in weight.
Advantages of a Pedestal air purifier:
- It is the most efficient type of purifier
- It has higher CADR and ACH
Disadvantages of Pedestal air purifier:
- It is typically heavier in weight.
- It produces more noise
- It takes more space in the room
Table-Top air purifier:
Also call portable air purifiers, these filters are the light-weight air purifiers and are pocket friendly
Advantages of portable purifier:
- It produces less noise
- It is pocket friendly
- It consumes less power
Disadvantages of portable purifiers:
- It has limited speed settings
- It usually does not have air ionizer technology or HEPA filters
- It requires cleaning and maintenance at regular frequency
- It is sufficient for very small rooms
These are smaller and lightweight and made to be mounted on the wall
What to look for while buying air purifier?
CADR stands for clean air delivery rate. It is a measure of speed of delivery of purified air by the purifier at its highest speed setting.
As a general rule, large room size requires higher CADR rating
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has given these guidelines for minimum CADR ratings by room size:
|Area (square feet)||100||200||300||400||500||600|
|Minimum CADR (cubic feet per minute)||60||130||195||260||325||390|
Air purifiers produce noise. There you have to be careful of the noise levels of the air purifier before purchasing.
You can typically choose air purifier with higher noise for living room, while bedroom should have purifier with lower levels
Anything less than 20 db is excellent. 60 dB noise levels are very similar to noise made by AC.
3. Air Change Rate:
Also called ACH or Air change per hour, Air change rate is the number of times the entire air in the room is fully purified in an hour.
For example, ACH of 2 means that air is being purified every 30 minutes.
4. Anti- bacterial coating:
Presence of anti-bacterial coating in HEPA filters is an added benefit
5. Maintenance and electricity cost:
Apart from purchasing cost, Air purifiers use good amount of power. Higher power usually means more efficient purification, and more noise. Therefore you have to maintain a banlance between cost, effectiveness and usability.
Also, filters have to be replaced from time to time. Typical life of HEPA filters is 2000 hours. It means if you are using it for 10 hours per day, then filters will last for 200 days ( 6 to 7 months)
You should try to purchase air purifiers from established brands and zero-in on models with good reviews.
You should check the terms of warranty of product carefully before purchasing the air purifier. Check what all parts are covered under warranty.
8. After-Sales Service:
Typically established brands will have good after sales service. Also, you should check how many services centers are available in your city. Usually, more services centers are considered good.
9. Other features:
Child-lock: Child lock feature is helpful when you have small children at home. It is a one click feature that helps ensure that the settings are not accidentally changed by kids.
Auto monitoring feature: This feature monitors the air quality and automatically regulates the speed of purification based on the pollutant levels
FAQs- Best Air Purifiers
Which is the best air purifier for asthama
Any air purifier with HEPA filter as well as activated carbon filter is considered best for asthama. This is because this air purifier will remove solid as well as gas pollutants.
Can I open windows of my room while using air purifier?
Yes, you can open the windows while running air purifier. However, you can close the windows / doors for more effective purification.
Can air purifier remove odour?
Air purifiers with activated carbon filters are most effective in removing odour. These air purifiers can remove smells from smoke, pets, garbage, and even baby diapers
How often should I replace the filter?
Usually, pre-filters are changed every 4 to 5 months and HEPA filters every 2 to 4 years. However, certain factors such as indoor pets, tobacco smoke, proclivity to allergies or asthama can increase the frequency of changing filters. Some air purifiers come with indicators while others have life expectancy information in the user manual to help users finding best time to replace filters.
Will air purifier clean my whole house?
Portable air purifiers are meant for purifying air in single rooms.
Air purifiers can be necessary if you are living in large polluted city. It is important to assess the type of air purifier you should purchase before you start looking for air purifier for your home.